Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Urban trek

South Fork Trail
So my sister told me of a animal housing like thing where farm animals were(hart park), so since I had nothing to do that day I thought I would go there, it’s a bit far so my sister suggested me to take the bus, I’m here for over two weeks and I’m yet to try the bus, the buses doesn’t seem to be that friendly like back in Sri Lanka hehe, so I sticked with the friendlier guys I knew, my two long legs :P .
So I mapped out a route for me to take, and I managed to couple it with a small trail called the “the South Fork Trail” that Jacquie told me of, Over here in the USA every thing is well marked so yea its hard to miss, at least that’s what I’m thinking upto now!
back in the days of wild wild west 
I started off from home at around 1 30 pm not the best time of the day, but yea that didn’t stop me from walking, and soon hit the south fork trail, it was slightly dusty but I still loved it, the santa clarita river was supposed to be flowing right next to the trail which would have been fantastic but nope that wasn’t the case it was all dried up L I’m guessing that’s how it is over here. Any way that didn’t take away any of the adventure, rather the dried up river let me cross over to railway avenue which ran parallel to the south fork trail. I mean I had to get on to the other side if I were to get to “Hart Park”.

Earlier on when I was drawing my route on the map there was a road that cut across south fork trail and railway avenue, but when I got there I realized that it was a bridge going above railway avenue, so that’s when I had to cross over the dried up river, I wasn’t sure whether I was doing some thing illegal lol so I did that quite fast but guess what? Because of the fear factor I suppose I couldn’t jump of a 3 feet  fence, It was funny but yea I managed to dust off and hit off on my urban trek.
Soon I came to Hart’s museum I believe it would have been around half past four, the farm animals were closed for visitors at that time, but that didn’t hurt me at all as the animals in there were not of the extraordinary list, sure would have loved to see them though, any way I soon realized that this park, houses to artifacts from the times of the old “wild wild west” , so soon I started to explore them, there was a small village like thing with a couple of houses, a school and a tiny church, the good old west would be incomplete without a train running through, and so the Hart’s Museum had that too!! In fact a whole train station.
It was a nice experience to have experienced a bit of the old times of the wild wild west.

Top of Hart Park
As I  was walking around the park all by my self I stumbled upon a sign board which read “trail head” I was excited and soon followed its paths, and It so turned out to be my first hike by my self, I’ll simply say the more official looking one. it wasn’t any way close to a jungle or any thing like that, so it was a pretty good starter, I soon started catching the glimpse of rooftops I mean hundreds, so I pressed on upwards and soon I was on top of Hart’s Park, it was truly awesome, I saw so much of wildlife I mean I surly saw over a dozen types of birds and I even saw a squirrels and little rabbits. however this hike turned out to be a bit tougher than the other ones as breathing started to become very much tougher, I got a little bit of the wheeze, it wasn’t pretty but I managed to climb down really slow and steady, where I found a bench to ease the breathing.



Urban trek which turned out to be a nice little hike, by my self
31 May 2012 - city of Santa Clarita CA 

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you are making the best use of your time. Guess the bison did not charge you!! Were you able to check out the links about the Santa Clarita trails in the Google Docs presentation? Might give you some more options. May you be filled with the mountains, the sky, the trees and plants, the rocks and pebbles, and the wind.

    ReplyDelete